Silver Blade of Eos
- At 3rd level, the Silver Blade Magus’ gains a powerful sentient weapon called a Silver Blade, whose weapon type is chosen by the Magus (see sidebar). A magus with this class feature cannot take the familiar magus arcana, and cannot have a familiar of any kind, even from another class.
- Instead of the normal arcane pool amount, the Silver Blade magus’s arcane pool has a number of points equal to 1/3 his level (minimum 1) plus his Intelligence bonus. This ability changes the Arcane Pool class feature and replaces the magus arcana gained at 3rd level.
- The Arcanum Pool Strike power is altered to only Holy Fire like the spell Flame Strike.
Silver Blade Basics
A Silver Blade is bonded to a particular magus, much like a familiar, but in more of a partnership than a master-servant relationship.
- Intelligence: This is the intelligence score of the Silver Blade. It starts at 10 and increases by 1 for every two levels of the Silver Blade magus (at 3rd level, 5th level, and so on).
- Wisdom and Charisma: As the Silver Blade magus increases in level, so do the Wisdom and Charisma of the Silver Blade. These abilities start at 6 and increase by 1 for every two levels of magus.
- Ego: A Silver Blade starts with an ego of 5, and that ego increases as the blade becomes more powerful, as per Table: Silver Blade Progression below. In cases where a wielder and the Silver Blade come into conflict, like any intelligent item, a Silver Blade can attempt to exert its dominance (see Intelligent Items). Due to its flexible and powerful nature, a Silver Blade has a nonstandard ego progression.
- Languages and Skills: A Silver Blade starts with Common as a language. As the Silver Blade increases in Intelligence, it manifests knowledge of languages and arcane lore. Upon reaching an Intelligence of 12, it gains a bonus language of the GM’s choice, and gains 1 rank in Knowledge (arcana). Each time the sword gains a bonus to Intelligence, it gains another language and another rank in Knowledge (arcana).
- Senses: A Silver Blade is aware of everything around it like a creature that can see and hear. It can be blinded and deafened as if it were a creature. It uses the saving throws of its magus, even if the magus is not currently wielding the Silver Blade.
- Silver Blade Arcane Pool: A Silver Blade has an arcane pool with a number of points equal to 1 + its Intelligence bonus.
Silver Blade Ability Descriptions
- A Silver Blade has special abilities (or imparts abilities to its wielder) depending on the wielder’s magus level. The abilities are cumulative. A Silver Blade normally refuses to use any of its abilities when wielded by anyone other than its magus, and acts as a masterwork weapon of its type.
- Alertness (Ex): While a magus is wielding his Silver Blade, he gains the Alertness feat.
- Silver Blade Strike (Sp): As a free action, the magus can spend a point from the Silver Blade’s arcane pool to grant the Silver Blade a +1 bonus on damage rolls for 1 minute. For every four levels beyond 1st, this ability gives the Silver Blade another +1 on damage rolls.
- Telepathy (Su): While a magus is wielding or carrying his Silver Blade, he can communicate telepathically with the blade in a language that the magus and the Silver Blade share.
- Unbreakable (Ex): As long as it has at least 1 point in its arcane pool, a Silver Blade is immune to the broken condition. If broken, the Silver Blade is unconscious and powerless until repaired. If destroyed, the Silver Blade can be reforged 1 week later through a special ritual that costs 200 gp per magus level. The ritual takes 24 hours to complete.
- Energy Attunement (Su): At 5th level, as a free action, a magus can spend a point of his Silver Blade’s arcane pool to have it deal one of the following types of damage instead of weapon damage: cold, electricity, or fire. He can spend 2 points from the Silver Blade’s arcane pool to deal sonic or force damage instead of weapon damage. This effect lasts until the start of the magus’s next turn.
- Teleport Blade (Sp): As a standard action, a magus of 9th level or higher can expend an arcane point from his or his Silver Blade’s arcane pool, and can call his Silver Blade from as far as 1 mile away, causing it to instantaneously teleport to his hand.
- Transfer Arcana (Su): At 13th level, once per day, a magus can attempt to siphon points from his Silver Blade’s arcane pool into his own arcane pool. Doing so takes a full-round action and the magus must succeed at a Will saving throw with a DC equal to the Silver Blade’s ego. If the magus succeeds, he regains 1 point to his arcane pool for every 2 points he saps from his Silver Blade. If he fails the saving throw, the magus becomes fatigued (but can try again). If he is fatigued, he becomes exhausted instead. He cannot use this ability if he is exhausted.
- Spell Defense (Sp): A magus of 17th level or higher can expend an arcane point from his weapon’s arcane pool as a free action; he then gains SR equal to his Silver Blade’s ego until the start of his next turn.
- Life Drinker (Su): At 19th level, each time the magus kills a living creature with the Silver Blade, he can pick one of the following effects: the Silver Blade restores 2 points to its arcane pool; the Silver Blade restores 1 point to its arcane pool and the magus restores 1 point to his arcane pool; the magus gains a number of temporary hit points equal to the Silver Blade’s ego (these temporary hit points last until spent or 1 minute, whichever is shorter). The creature killed must have a number of Hit Dice equal to half the magus’s character level for this to occur.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
- A Kensai is proficient in simple weapons and in a single martial or exotic melee weapon of his choice. A Kensai is not proficient with armor or shields and suffers normal arcane spell failure chance when casting magus spells while armored.
Diminished Spellcasting A Kensai may cast one fewer spell of each level than normal. If this reduces the number to 0, he may cast spells of that level only if his Intelligence allows bonus spells of that level.
Canny Defense (Ex)
- At 1st level, when a Kensai is wielding his chosen weapon, he gains the canny defense ability. This is identical to the duelist prestige class ability of the same name, save that his chosen weapon may be of any type.
Weapon Focus (Ex)
- At 1st level, a Kensai gains Weapon Focus with his chosen weapon as a bonus feat.
Perfect Strike (Ex)
- At 4th level, when a Kensai hits with his chosen weapon, he can spend 1 point from his arcane pool in order to maximize his weapon damage. Don’t roll for damage—the weapon deals maximum damage. This affects only the weapon’s base damage dice, not additional damage from sneak attack, magical weapon properties, spellstrike, or critical hits. If the Kensai confirms a critical hit, he can instead spend 2 points from his arcane pool to increase his weapon’s critical multiplier by 1. This ability replaces spell recall.
Fighter Training (Ex)
- Starting at 7th level, a Kensai counts his magus level –3 as his fighter level for the purpose of qualifying for feats (if he has levels in fighter, these levels stack), but forfeits the benefit of such feats with weapons other than his favored weapon. This ability replaces knowledge pool.
- At 7th level, a Kensai applies his Intelligence modifier as well as his Dexterity modifier on initiative rolls (minimum 0). A Kensai may make attacks of opportunity when flat-footed, and may draw his favored weapon as a free action as part of taking an attack of opportunity. This ability replaces the medium armor ability.
Critical Perfection (Ex)
- At 9th level, a Kensai adds his Intelligence bonus (minimum 0) on critical hit confirmation rolls with his favored weapon. In addition, the Kensai may use his magus levels in place of his base attack bonuses to qualify for Critical Focus and any feat for which it is a prerequisite; these feats apply only with a Kensai’s favored weapon. This ability replaces the magus arcana normally gained at 9th level.
Superior Reflexes (Ex)
- At 11th level, Kensai can make a number of attacks of opportunity in a round equal to his Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). This effect stacks with the Combat Reflexes feat. This ability replaces improved spell recall.
Iaijutsu Focus (Ex)
- At 13th level, a Kensai may always act and may draw his weapon as a swift action during a surprise round, though he is considered flat-footed until he acts. During a surprise round or when attacking a flat-footed opponent, he adds his Intelligence modifier on damage with his chosen weapon (minimum 0). This ability replaces heavy armor.
Iaijutsu Master (Ex)
- At 19th level, a Kensai’s initiative roll is automatically a natural 20 and he is never surprised. This ability replaces greater spell access.
Weapon Mastery (Ex)
- At 20th level, a Kensai gains weapon mastery with his favored weapon, as the fighter class ability. This ability replaces true magus.